Cardinals Crash Out

Haran Naresh reports on a disappointing night in the cup for Woking.

Woking were knocked out of the FA Trophy by National League South team Ebbsfleet United in their first-round replay.

It was a lacklustre performance by the home side who struggled to break down the well-drilled Ebbsfleet United defence.

Ebbsfleet started the game on the front foot, passing the ball around confidently.

Woking struggled to get on the ball early on and their frustrations boiled over when Dennon Lewis was booked for a foul on Jake Powell in the 8th minute.

Lewis contributed to Woking’s first meaningful attack in the 11th minute when his right-wing cross was deflected behind for a corner.


Ebbsfleet caught Woking on the counter-attack in the 12th minute when their left-back Jack Connors had a shot saved by Woking keeper Brandon Hall.

Ebbsfleet winger Darren McQueen began to cause Woking problems with his pace and in the 17th minute he played an excellent square pass across goal, but no one was there to meet it.

Woking responded with a chance of their own in the 20th minute where Jake Caprice went on a surging run, cut onto his left-foot and then had his shot saved by Ashmore.

The away side had another chance on the counter in the 23rd minute when Andy Drury ran through on goal, but was denied a chance to shoot because of a last-ditch tackle by Brian Saah.

McQueen missed a great chance in the 30th minute when he was unmarked from a corner but could only direct his header wide.


Caprice was booked in the 36th minute for kicking the ball away after giving away a foul.

Ebbsfleet had a penalty shout waved away by referee Antony Coggins in the 39th minute after Powell delivered a free-kick which hit Joey Jones on the hand.

Ebbsfleet started the second just as strongly as they finished the second. In the 48th minute Ismail Yakubu almost put the ball into his own net from Powell’s corner.

Ebbsfleet’s took the lead in the 50th minute where Kenny Clark headed in from Powell’s corner after Woking failed to clear their lines.

In the 51st minute Anthony Cook hit a powerful shot on the edge of the area, forcing Hall to make an impressive save to his right.

Woking manager Garry Hill responded by bringing on striker Delano Sam-Yorke for the ineffective Luke Kandi.


After the goal Ebbsfleet sat back and got plenty of men behind the ball as Woking struggled to find any rhythm. In the 68th minute Woking’s isolated striker Chigozie Ugwu cut in from the left-hand side and had shot at goal but it was straight at the keeper.

As the Cardinals desperately searched for an equaliser they left themselves open at the back and Ebbsfleet substitute Sam Deering was one-on-one with Hall but could only shoot at the keeper.

The Fleet survived a late onslaught by the home side to progress to the next round where they will face Kidderminster Harriers. It was an abysmal performance by Woking from start to finish against a team in the division below them.

Woking team: Hall, Caprice, Jones, Saah, Yakubu, Murtagh (Sutherland 46’), Ugwu, Saraiva, Lewis (Edgar 65’), Kandi (Sam-Yorke 59’), Shaw

Substitutes: Poke, Thomas, Sam-Yorke, Edgar, Sutherland

Ebbsfleet United team: Ashmore, Cook, Connors, McCoy, Winfield, Clark, Rance, Drury, Kedwell, McQueen (Deering 82’), Powell (Lewis 79’)

Substitutes: Sheringham, Miles, Lewis, Deering, Bubb

Referee: Antony Coggins

Attendance: 613


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s