Terrors Strike Fear Into Robins

Tayo Oladotun sees Tooting & Mitcham come out on top in a closely-fought Surrey FA Senior County Cup Second Round encounter.


The teams line up before the match. (Photo: Tayo Oladotun)
The teams line up before the match. (Photo: Tayo Oladotun)

It was local rivals Tooting and Mitcham who progressed to the next round of the Surrey FA Senior County Cup – seeing off Carshalton Athletic 2 – 0. Player-manager Peter Adeniyi’s decision to field a mixture of youth and experience was a bold decision but ultimately it proved costly.

The Terrors dominated early proceedings, with the game’s first real chances falling to Oliver Bennett, who saw his first of the two shots go agonisingly wide. The second came in the 7th minute. Slack defending gave him a great chance, only for his shot to be deflected for a corner – which amounted to nothing.

Quick fire

Despite the lack of a breakthrough, The Robins were clearly struggling to deal with the threat the Terrors were presenting.

The hosts were starting to show more attacking incentive and find a bit of rhythm. In the ninth minute, a quick fire move started by Tommy Bradford was well worked for Harrison Street whose cross was deflected out for a corner. From the set piece a tame effort by Robins’ defender Paris Hamilton-Downes ended in a routine catch for Tooting & Mitcham’s Matte Pierson.

Even with Tooting & Mitcham’s early dominance, it was Carshalton who created the more clear-cut chances. The Robins were through on goal again in the 12th minute, but youngster Francis Sey fluffed his lines at the crucial moment.

The game almost sparked to life in the 29th minute, when Bennett took advantage of some indecision at the back. The Terrors number 10 took too long to decide on the finish, however, and the danger was dealt with.


In the 37th minute, Bradford showed great footwork and trickery to skip past the Terrors defenders, but his shot lacked any real conviction. With half-time approaching, the Robins were given a free-kick in a very dangerous position. Bradford opted to step up to take it, and almost got enough dip to beat Pierson.

At half-time Adeniyi made a substitution. Joshua Phillips made way for Mickel Miller, while Khalid Henry replaced Street early in the second half. Top scorer Bradford picked up a booking, for dissent. The forward was angry after he had chased down the referee Steven Scott, to plead the case that a crunching tackle on him was a foul.

Red faced

Tooting & Mitcham brought on former Carshalton striker Jordan Wilson for Bennett in the 66th minute and Marcel Barrington for Michael Dixon in the 71st. Four minutes after coming on, Dixon gained possession and from an acute angle and despite mis-hitting his shot, squeezed the ball past Jack Minchin, who was left red faced.

In the 87th minute, it seemed Minchin had made up for his early error, making a wonderful save from Dixon’s powerful drive, only to palm the rebound in the path of Fabio Nunes, who made no mistake with the finish.

Tooting & Mitcham will go on to play Knaphill in the next round. Carshalton Athletic will hope to bounce back next game, in their push for promotion in the league.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s