Flames Put Pirates to the Sword

Ole Bjerkevoll sees the Surrey side come through a fierce test.

Guildford bounced back from last week’s defeat to Milton Keynes by beating Hull Pirates 3-1 in a tense game on Saturday.

Hull took the lead in the second period but the Flames battled back in the final period with a goal from Andy McKinney and two power-play goals from Ben Campbell and Jez Lundin to seal the victory for Guildford.

The first period was a cagey affair with both teams fighting for the puck and neither managing to get a grip on the game. The Flames hit the post several times and tested the Hull Pirates’ keeper on numerous occasions, with Guildford dominating the shot statistic 15-5 after the first period.

The second period started much as the first ended, with both teams going at it at full speed.


Then, with a minute and a half remaining in the period, Hull Pirates defenceman Jonathan Kirk ventured into the Guildford half with the puck at his stick, sending away a shot that went through the legs of Flames goalie Mike Will and stopped just past the line before being cleared by a Guildford player.

Confusion arose as the Hull players claimed the puck had gone over the line, the referees decided to review it and after conferring they allowed the goal to stand.

The Flames trailed, as they have many times this season, but it didn’t take them long to level things up. Just three minutes into the third period the Flames equalised.


Andy McKinney received the puck from Kari Sihvonen and set off down the right side of the ice. He whirled passed Hull defender Luke Boothroyd and sent the puck flying above the head of Hull goalie Vlastimil Lakosil, into the roof of the net.

The Flames continued to batter the Hull goal with shots but, an impressive performance from Lakosil saw the game stay level until the late stages.

With just seven minutes remaining, Guildford found themselves in a power-play situation and Ben Campbell easily poked in a rebound off Lakosil’s pad from a Jez Lundin shot, sending Guildford into the lead.


With the Flames still in a power-play advantage it only took them a minute to score another. Jens Eriksson set up Lundin for another shot and this time the former Great Britain Youth International found the back of the net. Firing a wrist shot flying into the top right corner, Lakosil couldn’t get his catching glove up quick enough to stop the shot.

The game ebbed out with the Flames controlling the puck for much of the remainder of the game.

Attendance: 2,008

Referee: Roman Szucs


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s