Flames Put Paid To Phantoms

Ola Bjerkevoll reports on Guildford’s latest action on the ice.

Jez Lundin, David Savage, Marek Maslonka and Michal Satek provided the goals as the Guildford Flames stunned the Peterborough Phantoms with two early goals in the first period before adding two more in the second. Edgars Bebris managed to pull two goals back for the visitors just before the final horn sounded but by then the game was long gone.

It only took a little over seven minutes for Lundin to put the Flames in front as he was left all alone in front of the Phantoms’ goal and easily slotted the puck into the back of the net behind the visitor’s goalie Janis Auzins.

The second goal came only two minutes later. The Flames won a face-off in the visitors’ end and the puck ended up at the stick of Savage, who sent it sailing along the ice and into the right-hand corner of the goal.

No mistake

In the second period Maslonka was played open by Tuomas Santavuori and the Slovakian made no mistake as he put the puck past Auzins from short range.

Then came a thunderbolt of a shot from Satek as he smashed the puck into the goal from the back end of the face-off zone on the right-hand side of the ice. The puck made its way past several players and Auzin’s outstretched glove and into the back of the net.

From there on out Guildford were in total control of the game but slipped up during the last 10 minutes of the game as a fight broke out with nine minutes to play and Kari Sihvonen was chucked from the game on top of getting a nine-minute penalty, while fellow brawler, Peterborough’s Greg Pick, was sent to the sin bin for a total of six minutes.

Dying minutes

In total the third period consisted of a massive nine penalties, six to Guildford and three to Peterborough. With the heads of many of Guildford players gone, Peterborough managed to pull two goals back in the dying minutes as Bebris scored with five minutes remaining to make it 4-1.

Bebris was on target again with five seconds left on the clock to put the score at a more respectable-looking 4-2 to Guildford Flames.

The Flames lost their other game of the weekend away at the Telford Tigers, who were too strong and ran away with an identical score line as the one Guildford beat Peterborough by, 4-2.

Attendance: 1,710

Referee: Kevin Ward


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s