Woes For Woking

A second-half collapse has put The Cardinals hovering above the relegation zone, as Haran Naresh reports.

Woking threw away a two goal lead to lose an important bottom-of-the-table clash against Maidstone United.

Maidstone created the first good chance of the game after a long throw from Tom Mills was collected by Joe Pigott who chested the ball, before connecting with an overhead kick which was saved by Michael Poke.

Kane Ferdinand hit a fierce shot which forced Maidstone keeper Lee Worgan to make a quick-reflex save which won Woking a corner.

Woking took the lead from the following corner after Maidstone failed to clear their lines, the ball broke to the unmarked Delano Sam-Yorke who scored from close range. There were suspicions of offside which were raised by Maidstone’s players and staff but referee Craig Hicks dismissed their protests.


Woking doubled their advantage in the 25th minute when Jamie Lucas received the ball in space on the edge of the area and his low left-footed shot rifled into the bottom right-hand corner of the net.

The home side looked to be in control of the match at this point but were punished three minutes later after some poor defending from their own corner.

Maidstone cleared the Woking corner to the edge of the area where Joey Jones gave the ball away to Maidstone. Woking’s players were caught up the pitch following the corner as Maidstone countered. Jamal Loza received the ball on the left-hand side of the area, cut onto his right foot and hit a powerful shot which flew into the top corner of the net.

 Crowded Out

Woking started the second half on the front foot as Lucas went on a surging run and found himself in space in the box, but support was lacking and he was crowded out by Maidstone defenders.

In the 51st minute a long throw by Maidstone caused Woking all sorts of problems where a Maidstone header was saved off the line by Poke. The Maidstone players and staff claimed that the ball had crossed the line.

Maidstone were putting the hosts under intense pressure which paid off in the 68th minute. Loza was played through on the edge of the area and hit a powerful shot which went through Poke’s legs for Maidstone’s equaliser.

In the 71st minute a great spell of play by Maidstone led to Loza firing narrowly over the bar.

In the 76th minute Loza completed his hat-trick and gave Maidstone the lead. Reece Prestedge’s free-kick from the left fell to Caprice, whose scuffed clearance fell to Loza who slotted the ball into the net.


Maidstone scored their fourth in the 83rd minute when Flisher’s low cross was collected by Odubade; who had his back to goal, swiveled and hit a low shot into the net.

Woking capitulated in the second half and the result leaves them in 20th place, just above the relegation zone with 41 points. Maidstone United have moved above Woking into 19th place and have two games in hand on the Cardinals.

Woking: Poke, Caprice (Ansah 79’), Thomas, Jones, Saah, Yakubu (Saraiva 66’), Murtagh, Sam-Yorke, Ferdinand, Lucas (Ugwu 57’), Arthur

Maidstone United: Worgan, Mills, Coyle, Lokko, Lewis, Paxman (Odubade 67’), Flisher, Prestedge, Twumasi, Loza (Phipps 86’), Pigott (Oakley 90’)

Attendance: 2,088



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s